Thursday, December 13, 2007

[Ada (GNAT)] Who said, "Ignorance is bliss"?

Ignorance isn't bliss. For the past two days I've been trying to do what I expect an Ada freak could do in 2 minutes. It's been a very frustrating, sleep-depriving process.

After trying to do amazing things with GNAT.Spitbol, I'm now trying to do the same to Dr. Dmitry A. Kazakov's
match library. And, as usual, it has not been an easy journey.

UTF-32 aside for now, I've been trying this week simply to make the Matching and Pattern packages available to the Windows programmer via the DLL mechanism.

At this point, all I have is a wrapper for the match() function.

I really hope there is an easier way of doing this. As I've said a few times before, I'm a newbie when it comes to Ada but have been forced to jump into the deep end of the pool. Please, if you know a better way, tell me!!

Oh, and I should point out that, though it seems I'm passing the right stuff to match(), in its current form the VB6 code keeps receiving an error code from the Matching package. It may be because I'm not declaring the pattern properly.

Okay, to the code. First up, the BOS.ADS spec file:



Next, the body (BOS.ADB). There are lots of Put calls in here for debugging. These are what appear if you run the VB6 code as a console app.



For the sake of completeness, BOS.DEF, BUILD.GPR and BUILD.BAT. Note that in BUILD.BAT, I specify match\match.o as an object file for gnatlink.



Finally, the VB6 code being used to test it all. Please note that I'm using
SetSubSys to turn the resulting EXE into a Console application. If you don't do that, the output from Ada's Put() statements will not be made visible.

It's not pretty code, but it does the job. By the way, if you don't do the StrConv, you'll be passing UTF-16 strings.



© Copyright Bruce M. Axtens., 2007

No comments: