Friday, October 07, 2005

[MetaCard and Tcl] Blogs.mc

I got asked to describe the stack a little better. Here goes:
My blogs.mc stack has two text fields (fSource and fGenerated) and some buttons at the bottom (create_card, first, prev, next, last, render, preview, delete).

With some marked-up text in the fSource field, I click 'render' and the output of the Tcl script (HTML) is put into the fGenerated field (line 6 of the 'Render' script).

Then when I click on 'preview' the HTML in the fGenerated field gets dumped to a file and passed to Safari. The fGenerated field is modifiable so I can play with things to get what I want and then tweak the Tcl script appropriately afterwards.
About the same time I posted this to the MetaCard list:
On my blog, codeaholic.blogspot.com, I've posted an item about MetaCard (on OS X) using Tcl to more-or-less bypass the script size limit of the unregistered version of MetaCard.
Richard Gaskin wrote back, saying (in part):
since there is no MetaCard anymore anyway, and since Rev only offers a 30-day trial for the engine, I'm not sure how helpful the article will be.

At $99 for the low-end Rev license, is the pricing really so prohibitive?
Also Alejandro Tejada wrote
i do not see how this could get around the 10 lines limit, but Geoff Canyon wrote an extensive tutorial to manage longer scripts within the 10 lines limits.

This tutorial is still useful for developers that want to run longer scripts in their standalone applications.

I get it from Ken Ray's website within the RR v 1.1 docs (saved as a pdf file). i'm not sure if this tutorial is still available in any website.

You could ask directly to Geoff Canyon. Look for his website: inspiredlogic.com
I answered with
> i do not see how this could get around the
> 10 lines limit,

bad choice of words on my part. It doesn't so much get around it as it does acquiesce to the fact and try to use other tools to do what can't otherwise be done. Instead of using MetaCard's HTML mechanism or writin8g something in MetaTalk, I've farmed out the functionality to a Tcl script.

> but Geoff Canyon wrote an
> extensive tutorial to manage longer scripts
> within the 10 lines limits.

of this I was unaware. I have thought about doing something similar. What I usually end up doing however, when I need to hang more closely to MetaCard is to use AppleScript and 'do script' or 'evaluate' the things I need. I will nevertheless make enquiries now that I know better.

No comments: